Wednesday, December 04, 2019

Tomb




Angelo de Augustine has been my revelation of 2019. 

Found him totally by chance and I can say it was love at first sight, or rather, love at first hearing. 

Its been a while since I last listened to a song that had immediate impact. As of late, tunes require two or three times listening to grasp my full admiration, but Augustine's Tomb swept me away literally within the first couple of cords... and when his vocals hit for the first time, its absolute bliss. 

I knew it was something special and immediately it made its way to my top songs of 2019. His album, also named Tomb, followed suit. 

In my ears, his music was where Elliot Smith and Sufjan Stevens met.

The two are among my favorite singer/songwriters, so you can imagine how Augustine is so appealing to me right from the get go. 

Both the musicians to whom I compare Augustine to, have this graceful ability to keep things incredibly minimalist, with a sense of genuine storytelling that appeals to your heart and soul. 

For instance, if the song is about heartbreak, it will shatter your heart.

It's no surprise the man from Thousand Oaks, California, is currently signed with Asthmatic Kitty Records, the same label Sufjan.

I hope you can enjoy his music as much as I have.

No comments: