Thursday, March 01, 2012

Son of No One (2011)






A few years ago, I came to meet American author, screenwriter and musician, Dito Montiel, through his debut feature A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints (2006), based in his own memoirs. Starring an ensemble cast with names such as Robert Downey Jr., Shia LeBeauf, Rosario Dawson, Chazz Palminteri, Dianne Wiest and Channing Tatum, it instantly became one of my favorite movies, one that unfortunately I would love to write about, if only I had the blog back then.

Anyway, I'm referring to this movie as a way to put in to context the reason why I started to follow the author turned director. Three years went by and he came up with his sophomore effort entitled Fighting (2009), having Tatum in the leading role. I was curious, but the reviews were so harsh on the film that I ended up not seeing. However, I remained confident that Montiel would soon come up with other projects.
 
In 2011, came Son of No One and it looked promising! Again with Channing Tatum in the leading role, the movie also had the likes of Katie Holmes, Tracy Morgan, Ray Liotta, Juliette Binoche and Al Pacino. This all-star cast, combined with Montiel, seemed like it could be another "A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints" on the making, so, I did my best to avoid reading any reviews or looking up at iMDB scores, so nothing could turn me away from watching this third effort by the New Yorker director.

One hour and twenty six minutes later, I saw myself gathering the elements that left me feeling so disappointed. It didn't took long to think of the first thing that came out as the biggest flaw: The script!
It was confusing and even sometimes silly... and even with all-around good performances from its cast, it still wasn't good enough to make up for Montiel's mistakes.

Just to conclud this post, I would like to share a quote from the movie critic Roger Ebert that pretty much sums it all up: 

Here's a bad movie with hardly a bad scene. How can that be? The construction doesn't flow. The story doesn't engage. (click here for the full review)


No comments: