Monday, December 19, 2011

Get Low (2009)



It took me ages to get my hands on the movie Get Low (2009), but finally I made it!

It's an independent production, one that went through a long time without major advertising... only spreading its name across mostly due to its involvement on Sundance Festival! I found out of its existence after reading an article on RottenTomatoes making a list of indie movies that were soon to get out. Get Low and Hesher were the two ones to draw more of my attention, mostly because of their cast to which I'm very fond of!

Focusing more on Get Low, it stars Robert Duvall, Bill Murray, Lucas Black and Sissy Spacek. Out of those four names, three I consider to be major legends in the industry!

But it wasn't only the actors who justified watching this movie... The plot was also crucial in my decision!
Basically - and avoiding giving away many details - the story revolves around a man called Felix Bush (Robert Duvall), a man who people tell the most crazy stories about, stories that portray him almost like the devil himself. However, Felix has been very discrete has he's been living isolated in a cabin for over 40 years. He then decides to leave his cabin and show his face in public only so that he can arrange his own funeral!
 Yes... his own funeral! And this while he his still alive!

 "It's time for me to get low" he says.

And who better than Bill Murray to arrange that? It's interesting, as well as moving and with an incredibly brilliant performance from Mr. Duvall, that should have been recognized at least with an Oscar nomination! It's that good, trust me!

Be sure to catch this... It would be part of my 2009 list in case I had seen it in time!

No comments: