Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Expendables 2 (2012)


"The more the merrier", that's what Sylvester Stallone seems to think by betting on The Expendables 2 (2012).

The fans agree! 

Since the first Expendables (2010) came out, people knew right away that for a sequel to make sense they would need to bring in more actions stars. Fortunately for Sly, there's a lot to pick from and some of them are even looking to get some high profile roles to contrast with their "straight-to-dvd" projects.

So if you look at the original lineup that contains names such as Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgreen, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bruce Willis... what other names come up to mind?

I'm sure Jean-Claude Van Damme and Chuck Norris are probably in that wish-list of yours and so... there you have it! Both actors were included and the hype was once more created. Everyone who grew up with these actors wanted to see them act together and I like to believe even for non-action fans, the opportunity just seemed to good to pass on. What are the chances of you ever getting a similar project with so many cult icons?

I've got to say, even for me - a big action fan and admirer of most these actors for years - was too much. I had trouble watching the movie and reaching the end with a sense of satisfaction. I felt like it was cheesy, over the top, blunt and ludicrous... I wasn't believing most of what I was seeing. And yes, I'm aware that's not the point. They don't take themselves seriously and it's suppose to be an homage almost in the shape of a spoof - at least this is what I assume. However, it still resonate in my head as a waste of my time. I could have easily waited to watch this one at home... No need to spend money and hit the cinemas.

I spoke to a few people and most tend to disagree with my opinion. They loved The Expendables 2, some even more that its predecessor! The trick - they say - is to go with a large group of friends, kick back and enjoy the ride. From what I learned after watching it, I would also suggest people pretend they are seeing a comedy and just be comfortable to laugh of the many idiotic scenes that come up your way.

But let me just clear one thing... As much as it seems like I hated the movie, I didn't. Far from it... Felt it was an unnecessary sequel, providing very little to the previous one. I also believe that critics and audience have been boosting up what I think is a very overrated film. Nonetheless, there are some excellent scenes, especially those that involve Willis, Schwarzenegger and Stallone together. The quirky lines, the 80/90's references, the puns... It just makes you feel "blessed" for the opportunity of getting those guys on-screen.

Oh and the throw down between Sly and JCVD is a nice climax... Good to see that even when you reach 70 you can still kick some ass.


No comments: