Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Stone (2010)



Stone (2010) is a long-feature directed by John Curran, a man that a few years ago teamed up with Ed Norton and Naomi Watts to give us The Painted Veil in 2006.

There's not much I can say about this one, besides stating that when I finished watching, I had  mixed feelings...

The cast is just amazing... you get to see Edward Norton and Robert De Niro go at it once more, after they did together The Score (2001), but unfortunately, not always a name lives up to its reputation. De Niro is a good example of that, as we got to see movies over the last few years that were simply dreadful. I’m not saying that this is the case, but we when it comes to an actor such as "Bobby" De Niro, your expectations are always high... we are always waiting for that old school vintage De Niro... in the likes of Taxi Driver, GoodFellas, Raging Bull or The Godfather! But well, I guess that since he has nothing to prove, he's more in for the money...
Edward Norton on the other hand, is excellent (the man simply can't do wrong), as he provides good performance as the title character "Stone". Oh… and let’s not forget Milla Jovovich who is actually quite suited for her roll as Stone's sex addict wife.

It’s strange… I’m handing out some compliments to the acting level, but somehow, even though I was pleased with all three main characters, I noticed that I didn't emphasize with none of that. I had no feelings for all three of them, what so ever... just wasn't able to get myself involved... So basically, it all comes down to saying that the movie is ok, with solid performances... but not much of an interesting story. Matter a fact, the trailer made the movie seem much more appealing than it actually is… and sort of gave me the impression that the story had much more potential. Anyway, its “watchable”, but you don’t miss out if you decide not to see it!




No comments: